Castello di Magliano facciata

The castle

Scroll up

Property of the Alfieri family since 1240, the current residence was built on the site of the medieval fort by the count Catalano of the Alfieri of Magliano and Castagnole delle Lanze, starting in 1649. The building is distinguished by its impressive lines, both severe and graceful, belonging to the late Piedmont baroque.

Castello di Magliano dettaglio portone

Unfortunately, the count did not see the work finished.

He died of a heart attack in 1674, in the dungeons of Palazzo Madama in Turin where he was imprisoned, accused of betrayal for failing to invade the territory of Genoa in the ruinous expedition of 1672. He was rehabilitated in 1679, after his accuser-defamer had been executed. His son, Count Carlo Emanuele, minister of the Savoys in Madrid, Paris, Vienna and ambassador in London, completed the construction of the main parts of the castle around 1680.

Vittorio Alfieri stayed in the castle as a child, and during the summers, to see his mother.

The great poet and dramatist was born in Asti, a short distance away, in 1749. He was the son from a previous marriage of Monica Maillard de Tournon, whose third husband was Giacinto Ludovico, heir of Carlo Emanuele and last the last count of Magliano. The Alfieri of Magliano line ended when he died in 1797.

The castle passed through various hands until it was purchased by the Marquis Cesare Alfieri di Sostegno in 1843.

Castello di Magliano interno corona
Barolo Castles Foundation Castello di Magliano affresco
Barolo Castles Foundation Castello di Magliano dettaglio interno stanza
Barolo Castles Foundation Castello di Magliano facciata

Castello di Magliano interno

In 1952, the castle was donated to the parish of Sant’Andrea by the Marquess Margherita Pallavicino, heir of the family. In 1988, a donation of the parish to the Municipality of Magliano Alfieri made it municipal property. Thus, works were started to remove the partition walls and slabs, built in the 1960s, when the building housed some private residences.

Once you have crossed the main entrance, the wide and elegant monumental staircase leads to the Coat of arms hall.

Characterised by a precious cloister vault decorated with high-relief plaster stucco work, the hall now hosts frequent concerts and meetings. The stucco work reproduces the Alfieri family coats of arms and those of other families related to it. At the corners of the vault, there is the Alfieri house eagle with the mottoes “Tort ne dure” (“the offence does not last”), referring to the tragic affair of Catalano Alfieri, and “Hostili tincta cruore” (“bathed in enemy blood”), probably referring to the banner. The coat of arms of the Alfieri of Magliano stands out in the centre, surmounted by the marquis crown.

On the eastern side of the castle, there is the family chapel dedicated to the Holy Crucifix, also remembered as the Oratory of the Shroud of Turin.

Its construction dates back to the second half of the 18 th century. With a single nave, it is decorated with trompe-l'œil frescoes with perspectives of great architectural effect and artistry. Three large canvases, which can be attributed to the famous painter from Bra Pier Paolo Operti, represent episodes of the life of Christ.

Castello di Magliano vista finestra